Friday, June 6, 2014

Operation Care Int'l. Honored Veterans

OPERATION CARE INT’L HONORED VETERANS IN DALLAS, TEXAS In December 2013, OCI not only provided spiritual counseling, shoes, food, coats and comfort to thousands of those in need but also honored veterans in a special way. Veterans joined other special guests at a pre-event breakfast. Following breakfast, an honor guard from Paralyzed Veterans of America presented the American flag to begin festivities. The honor guard - Jerry Hull, John Fay, Bill Fischer, and Ted Smith - consisted of wheelchair bound veterans who volunteer with either the PVA or the Veterans Administration or both.

World War II heroes: The Greatest Generation speaks: Five World War II veterans were special guests of honor at the breakfast and opening ceremonies: Charles Jennings, Robert Blatnik, Robby Campbell, Orville Rogers and Andy Horner.

Orville Rogers served in World War II and the Korean conflict. During the 1950's, he flew the B-36. "I loved that airplane," remarked Orville. "It was the largest airplane in the world at the time." Mr. Rogers is also a longtime friend of Susie Jennings of Operation Care. An avid runner, Orville, as of last summer, held 11 world records in the 95-99 age division at distances from 60 meters to 3,000 meters.

Robert Blatnik enlisted in US Army in 1938 and served in World War II. He was in the invasion of North Africa in November 1942, the invasion of Sicily in July 1943. "I was wounded once in Africa and twice in Sicily...and after Sicilian campaign, we thought we would be sent home to the states," recalled Robert. Instead, Robert's division was sent to England to await the Normandy invasion. "We landed on Omaha Beach on D-Day, June 6, 1944. To this day, I don't know how I survived," said Robert, who returned to the beaches of Normandy in June 2013 for a moving reunion to pay homage to compatriots who had fallen there. "The good Lord takes care of me, that's for sure," said Robert, who has logged over 6,000 hours as a volunteer at the VA hospital in Dallas.

Robby Campbell served in the US Navy during World War II. Campbell, a veteran of Okinawa, recalled the Japanese kamikaze attacks. "The battle lasted a while, but in the end, the Japanese didn't have anything left," said Robby. "My wife and I have known Susie for about 20 years and we support Operation Care because of her," said Robby.

Charles Jennings jokes "If it wasn't for me we wouldn't have won the war." Charles, who is Susie Jennings's father-in-law, served in the infantry in the European theater during World War II. "I was in communications. We laid wire on the front lines of Europe back to the company switchboards," explained Charles. "Boy, do I have a wonderful daughter-in-law," said Jennings, who has been closely connected to Operation Care since its earliest days.

Andy Horner served in the Royal Canadian Navy during World War II. "We were on convoy duty in Scotland, Ireland, and up into Russia," said Horner. "The more I know about Operation Care, the more I learn...it's unbelievable!" exclaimed Horner. "Susie has a real vision, and I am so happy to be here," said Andy.

Homeless vets tell their stories: Also participating in Saturday's breakfast were veterans who had received assistance from Operation Care and other agencies. Some are homeless and living in shelters such as the Union Gospel Mission; others live in apartments thanks to the assistance of Operation Care. All have stories to tell. These men and women are facing significant challenges and are striving for a better life, a hope and a future grounded in faith in Jesus Christ.

Julie Pant was an electronics technician in the Nary. "I became homeless in 2010 and lived on the streets for a year," she said. "I suffered from PTSD and addiction. When I finished treatment, I was ready to start my life over and I had nothing, no money, nothing to live on. I was at the VA in Dallas. I got in contact with Susie through a friend. Operation Care took me under their wings. They provided the funds so I could get an apartment. They gave me household items. They truly picked me up." Julie, currently a college student at El Centro College, came to the Christmas Gift event as a volunteer. She plan to apply to a nursing school in the fall.

Hector Reynoso, Army veteran, was homeless due to a job loss. Reynosa worked for FEMA for 15 years before losing his job in a downsizing move. Reynoso lives at Union Gospel Mission currently and appreciates the support that Operation Care gives to residents.

Patsy Warren-Cook is an Air Force veteran who served her country for 15 years. After leaving an abusive husband, the mother of two returned to college, earning bachelors and master’s degrees. Patsy began a PhD program in Dallas, but living arrangements with a friend battling addiction did not work out. Warren-Cook and her son moved into an apartment, but the doctoral student was unable to find employment. "My finances ran out and we were evicted from the apartment right before Christmas," recalled Patsy and calls her experience "most humbling." Patsy was approved for housing through the Homeless Veterans Outreach Initiative. Patsy recalls, "I met Susie shortly after I was awarded housing. I had a serious need, and Operation Care stepped in and blessed me. I was prayed for and truly felt the love." Patsy has since become a part-time employee of Operation Care. She has been able to move into a house. Her son is a seventh grader, her daughter is a college senior who presides over the pre-law society at the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville. Patsy is now enrolled in a master of counseling program and plans to become a licensed professional counselor by 2015. "I now am living my dream and living on purpose," said Patsy.


Left to right:  Julie Pant, Mayor Mike Rawlings, Patsy  Warren-Cook /
 WW II Veterans:   Charles Jennings, Robt. Blatnik, Robby Campbell, Orville Rogers and Andy Horner



No comments:

Post a Comment