Friday, August 24, 2012

E. Henry Garland, Sr.

Pvt. Garland,  WW 2, 45th Ordnance - Medical Maintenance Co.

This veteran was my father.  He was stationed in Aberdeen, MD before taking a troop ship across the Atlantic, passing Gibraltar, and landing in Italy.  There were foreign submarines and other threats en route, according to his sketchy diary.  I have postcards, "aeromails," and trinkets from Sicily and Pisa.  He told occasionally of giving chocolate candy to children along the way.  Later, his group moved along the coast to France and were transported by train north, paralleling the German border.  From there - we think - he went into the Strasbourg (or Black Forest) area of Germany.  I have often wondered if he saw General Patton.  Would this have been possible?

Henry (sometimes called Hank by friends) was my "Daddy."  His absence left a gap in our family.  I was 5 - 7 years old and had two young teen aged brothers.  Mother ran the household with faith and strength of character, but it was hard for her.  My best memory of those times was one of the Christmases.  I received a child-size military uniform of my own and the most beautiful doll I have ever seen before or since!  After what seemed a long time to me, Daddy returned home, got over an illness, and returned to his regular job.

In later years, I developed a great pride in the fact that my father served our country.  He perhaps helped to save many lives by keeping the medical vehicles in working order.  We likely will never know since he spoke very little of the war once he returned.  The war was part of the lives of at least four of my uncles and one cousin.  It greatly impacted the family lives of that era.

Ruby A. Bryant
Dallas, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment